“Ayumi Yu, Cloud Artisan”
Senior Software Engineer @ CoderPad
2019-01 – Current
CoderPad is a live programming environment for interviewing programmers. It’s used by companies big and small including Facebook, Dropbox and Twitch.
- I work on all parts of the stack:
- User Frontend – Rails with React (with Redux); Firebase and WebSockets for low latency sync.
- Code Execution – Node microservice runs Docker containers to run code. Supports 30+ languages, relational DBs and cloud files. Participant keystrokes and stdout sync over WebSockets.
- Code Intelligence – Shim for language-specific intelligence servers which do autocompletion and diagnostics. Runs on Kubernetes.
- Ops – Google Cloud; Ansible
- Implemented overage billing, which lets customers pay for interviews beyond their monthly plan. People like it and it makes money.
Senior Software Engineer @ Brave Software
2016-08 – 2018-04
Brave is a web browser company which protects people’s privacy and security on the Internet. Brave also helps web publishers make money with a novel ads and contribution system.
- Created and managed Brave Rewards for Creators, a frontend for web creators to get paid via the Brave Browser BAT ecosystem.
- When I worked on it Creators was used by 10,000+ publishers. As of September 2020 there were over 800,000.
- Co-created end-to-end encrypted browser data sync library brave/sync.
- Worked on a cross platform web browser written in Muon (a fork of Electron) and React.
- Improved browser performance and wrote automated performance tests.
Senior Software Engineer @ Entelo
2014-02 – 2016-07
Entelo makes a professional people search engine and other recruiting tools. During my time there, company revenue was $100Ms ARR.
- Worked on core search engine, including data acquisition, processing, indexing and frontend.
- Created Entelo Track, an email service which instruments outbound email engagement.
- Created an API integrations framework for applicant tracking systems.
- Tech: Elasticsearch, Docker, Ruby, RDBMS (5+ TB), AWS
Software Engineer @ Leap Motion
2012-10 – 2013-04
Leap Motion is a computer hardware sensor which tracks hands and fingers in 3D space.
- Worked on web infrastructure supporting the sensor: Web backend, app curation tools, and the web shop.
- User base was 1M+.
Software Engineer @ Expensify
2011-02 – 2011-11
Expensify makes nice expense reporting software.
- Created “SmartScan” receipt data capture and OCR system.
- Created HTML5 canvas image editor.
- Co-author @ Quantitative estimation of activity and quality for collections of 2013 functional genetic elements, Nature Methods 10, 347–353 (2013)
- Top 0.1% North America @ League of Legends (2013)
- BA, Molecular and Cell Biology @ UC Berkeley (2010)
- Founder @ elecTONIC, UC Berkeley electronic music student org (2008)
- Valedictorian @ Marin Catholic High School (2006)